Sunday, August 10, 2014

Battling Everyday Sexism

I just got done watching what was probably one of the best TED talks I've ever seen. The video is posted below, I highly recommend you watch it! To give a brief recap Laura Bates talks about everyday sexism that woman face and how unfortunately widespread it has become and is considered "the norm". Here's my take on it and I hope each of you who watch this video or read this post form your own opinions on everyday sexism and street harassment as well. How many of us have heard cat-calls from construction workers, men driving past, men on the street etc.? Something along the lines of "Hey sweetie! Hey! Let me talk to you!" are frequently shouted out at me while I'm in public and it took a bit of research and informing myself to realize how grossly inappropriate it is and how I should not simply accept it as "the norm". For a while I just figured "Ignore them, don't let them have the satisfaction of getting a reaction out of me." However, I realized that being passive can actually be quite harmful as it sets the precedent that your cat-caller can harass women and get away with it as no one, not even the one being harassed, will call him on it. Now of course, if you're walking alone at night and someone harasses you, I would not recommend engaging them. In that situation, ignoring is the best way to diffuse the situation and unfortunately the harasser may just get away with it that time. However, during daylight and especially when others are around I challenge you to resist being passive. There's no need to be aggressive, but a simple "I'm uncomfortable with your behavior, please stop." will work. By asking, "Why do you think its appropriate to say that to me?" chances are your harasser will clam up at this question. He has no logical answer simply because, no one ever calls him on it! I think we can all agree that years down the road, if the same man saw his daughter or wife being cat-called, he would not be too happy about it. So why does he all of the sudden have the right to cat-call someone else's daughter or wife? The answer is HE DOESN'T. Also, there's a reason women refer to each other as sisters. Because if you saw your sister being cat-called you most likely would not be okay with it. So the next time you are being harassed or see someone else being harassed, SAY SOMETHING. As long as the situation doesn't put you in immediate danger, stand up for yourself and your sisters. Even if it's just a reassuring "Are you okay?" to a fellow woman who has just been harassed. Compassion is still here in this world and all it takes is tiny actions such as these to get the world talking, to inspire people to look out for one another, and even maybe just cause some men think twice before they cat-call women.
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment